You can easily make delicious Crab Lettuce Chahan using packaged crab meat. The key to delicious chahan is separating each grain of rice and we will show you how to achieve it easily.
Long Green Onions (Naganegi)coarsely chopped
* The ingredients contain Amazon affiliate links.
Beat the egg thoroughly. The egg should have a thin consistency as Chef is showing here. As for the rice, be sure to use hot steamed rice. Cut the lettuce leaf into 2cm (0.8”) pieces.
Let’s make the chahan. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan. And add the chopped ginger root.
When the oil has heated, add the beaten egg.
And quickly place the hot steamed rice into the pan.
Hold a spatula in each hand and separate the clumps of rice coating them with the egg evenly. Continue to separate each grain of rice but be sure not to crush it.
Slightly tilt the pan and scoop the rice from the bottom. This will help to stir-fry quickly and also maintain the temperature of the pan.
When each grain has separated, add the coarsely chopped long green onion and stir-fry.
Then, gather the rice over to one side and saute the crab meat. Reduce and then combine the crab and rice.
Season it with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
Finally, add the chopped lettuce leaf. Add a dash of soy sauce to bring out the savory aroma.
Toss all the ingredients several times and now it is ready.
The piping hot rice will soften the lettuce so avoid overcooking.
Place the crab lettuce chahan into a bowl.
- A tip to separate each grain in the chahan is to use hot steamed rice cooked with a little less water and reduce the liquid from the crab meat.
- Making this dish in smaller portions also helps to separate each grain of rice so the texture is more palatable.
- If the crab meat isn’t available, crab stick can be a good substitute.
- The amount of salt varies depending on your crab meat so adjust it accordingly.